Department: Human Settlements
|Postal||Private Bag X644, Pretoria, 0001|
|Physical||Govan Mbeki House, 240 Justice Mahomed Street, Sunnyside, Pretoria, 0002|
|Tel||012 421 1333/1311|
|Fax||012 341 8512|
OverviewThe mission of the Department of Human Settlements is to facilitate the creation of sustainable human settlements and improved quality of household life. The Department determines finances, and promotes, communicates and monitors the implementation of housing and sanitation programmes in South Africa.
Government has set itself the target of making a positive impact on the quality of life of 750 000 households by upgrading informal settlements. The upgrade will provide households with security of tenure and access to essential services in sites that are close to economic and other social amenities.
To meet its objective of sustainable human settlements and improved quality of household life, the Department has identified the following areas of priority: accelerated delivery of housing opportunities; access to basic services; more efficient land use; and an improved property market.
- Community Schemes Ombud Service (CSOS)
- Estate Agency Affairs Board of South Africa
- Housing Development Agency (HDA)
- National Home Builders Registration Council (NHBRC)
- National Housing Finance Corporation SOC Ltd (NHFC)
- National Urban Reconstruction and Housing Agency (NURCHA)
- Rural Housing Loan Fund (RHLF)
- Social Housing Regulatory Authority (SHRA)