Physical: 1 Hospital Street, The Constitutional Court, Constitutional Hill, Braamfontein, JohannesburgTel: 011 838 2010/9Fax: 086 649 0944Web: www.judiciary.org.za/about-the-jsc.html
Postal: Private Bag X1, Constitutional Hill, Braamfontein, 2017
The Judicial Service Commission (JSC) is a constitutional body established in terms of section 178 of the Constitution read with the Judicial Service Commission Act 9 of 1994. The primary functions of the Commission are to: interview candidates for judicial positions and make recommendations for appointment to the bench; deal with complaints brought against the Judges; manage the Register of Judges’ Registrable interests; and advise national government on matters relating to the Judiciary.
When the JSC interviews candidates for judicial appointment, all the 23 members of the JSC, as well as the respective Premiers and Judges President of the respective Divisions of the High Court where the candidates have been nominated, participate in the interviews. All interviews for judicial appointment are conducted in public. Following the conclusion of the interviews, the recommendations are sent to the President, who then appoints the recommended candidates as Judges.
Complaints against Judges who contravene the Code of Judicial Conduct or any law must first be reported to the Judicial Conduct Committee (JCC), a body comprised of the Chief Justice, Deputy Chief Justice and four other Judges designated by the Chief Justice after consultation with the Minister of Justice and Correctional Services. If the JCC is of the view that the complaint lodged against a particular Judge is of a serious nature to warrant an impeachment of a Judge, the JCC is empowered to recommend to the JSC for the complaint to be investigated and reported on by a Judicial Conduct Tribunal. It is the Chief Justice who has the power to appoint a Judicial Conduct Tribunal following the recommendation by the JSC.
Judges are also required in terms of the law to disclose their financial interests annually. These disclosures are recorded in a Register that is managed by the Registrar of Judges’ Registrable Interests.
As members of the JSC act in other professional capacities, the JSC and its various committees meet biannually. The JSC Secretariat is required to manage and facilitate the work of the JSC throughout the year and to liaise with various JSC committees on matters they are tasked to deal with by the JSC at its biannual meetings. The JSC Secretariat is responsible for making all logistical arrangements, including collating agenda and all relevant documentation for all JSC meetings and financing the biannual meetings of the JSC, which take place for a week in April and October every year. The meetings are generally held in Cape Town.
Justice M Mogoeng
President Supreme Court of Appeal
Justice L Mpati
Justice F Kgomo
- Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng (Chief Justice: South Africa)
- President Supreme Court of Appeal:
- Justice L Mpati
- Judge President:
- Justice FD Kgomo
- Ms T Didiza (National Assembly)
- Mr CP Fourie (Practicing Attorney)
- Adv M Hellens SC (Practicing Advocate)
- Ms D Magadzi (National Assembly)
- Mr JS Malema (National Assembly)
- Ms TK Mampuru (National Council of Provinces)
- Adv Thabani Masuku
- Adv MT Masutha (Minister: Justice and Correctional Services)
- Ms TR Modise (National Council of Provinces)
- Adv AMM Motimele SC (Practicing Advocate)
- Dr M Motshekga (National Assembly)
- Sifiso Msomi
- Adv L Nkosi-Thomas SC
- Adv T Norman SC
- Mr M Notyesi (Practicing Attorney)
- Prof N Ntlama (Professor of Law)
- Mr AJ Nyambi (National Council of Provinces)
- Mr HC Schmidt (National Assembly)
- Mr N Singh (National Assembly)
- Mr D Stock (National Council of Provinces)
- Senior Management:
- Ms Lynette Bios (Support Staff: State Law Adviser)
- Mr Sello Chiloane (Secretary: Commission)
- Ms Sibongile Dube (Support Staff: Administrative Officer)
- Mr Phethuvuyo Gagai (Registrar of Judges’ Registrable Interests)
- Ms Hlayisani Maluleke (Support Staff: Administrative Officer)
- Ms Mbali Mondlane (Support Staff: Complaints Officer)
- Communications Officers:
The information in this directory is supplied and/or externally sourced
and is also subject to continual change. If you notice any errors or omissions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
so that we can correct them.